Safe Towing Guide for 4×4 Camper Trailers and Off Road Caravans. Supplied by Gary Gardiner, Hayman Reese Technical Towing Expert
7 Safe Towing Tips
Towing Tip # 1
Identify Your Holiday And Towing Requirements
Before your next towing adventure, ask yourself the following questions;
1. Where do you want to go?
2. What type of roads are you likely to be travelling on?
3. How long are you travelling for?
4. Do you have suitable towing equipment?
Weight Distribution Systems are not recommended for off road use.
Towing Tip # 2
Know Your Vehicle
1. Know your vehicles maximum tow rating.
2. Know your trailer ball weight.
3. Know the fully loaded weight of caravan/trailer.
A caravan’s maximum weight/ trailer ball weight, must not be greater than your vehicle’s maximum tow rating.
Towing Tip # 3
Know Your Towbar Capacity
If you have an existing towbar:
1. Identify if you have a Standard or Hitch Receiver towbar.
2. Identify the maximum towing capacity of your towbar.
If you need to purchase a towbar:
• Contact your nearest Hayman Reese distributor so they can recommend which towbar will suit your towing application.
• View our Online Catalogue to see what towbars are available for your vehicle make and model.
• If required email firstname.lastname@example.org for some friendly towing advice. Or phone 1800 812 017
The type of towbar you have will determine what accessories you can use. NEVER exceed your towbar’s maximum towing capacity!
Towing Tip # 4
Install A Brake Control Unit
All trailers with a GTM exceeding 750kg must have brakes
Different options of Hayman Reese brake controllers include;
Pendulum / Proportional Guardian IQ (Part Number 05900)
Towing Tip # 5
Use A Weight Distribution System
- Why do you need a Weight Distribution System?
• Ensure your system is set up correctly
When using the Weight Distribution System the ball weight remains the same. However the load is evenly distributed through the vehicle’s chassis to all four wheels. It is important that the capacity of the system is correctly chosen and the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations are always followed.
Did You Know?
Towing without a Hayman Reese Weight Distribution System can cause unnerving trailer sway. It can reduced steering and braking responsiveness, less traction and misaligned head lamps. Over time you may also notice a reduction in economy and increased tyre wear.
Click Here To View Hayman Reese’s Range Of Premium Weight Distribution Systems.
Towing tip # 6
Use A Sway Controller
When travelling with a trailer, strong winds from large trucks and buses can result in unnerving trailer sway.
A sway controller is designed to be used in conjunction with a Hayman Reese Weight Distribution System. This prevents trailer sway by retarding the pivotal movement between the tow hitch and the trailer.
Towing Tip # 7
Use Common Sense!
Educate yourself about the above information. Therefore it is better to take time to prevent problems from occurring than dealing with them when it’s too late. Contact your nearest Hayman Reese distributor before that next trip!
- Identify Your Holiday And Towing Requirements
- Know Your Vehicle
- Know Your Towbar Capacity
- Install A Brake Control Unit
- Use Weight Distribution System
- Use A Sway Controller
- Common Sense Needed
These Safe Towing Tips will help you tow your trailer more safely.
Need more information on towing products or to purchase go to our Towing Equipment page.
ARB 4×4 Accessories – Camping Gear – Off Road Camper Trailers – Off Road Caravans – Safe Towung Tips – Campsites – 4×4 Videos
Oztent – Arb – Warn – Hayman Reese – Tred – Engel – Uniden – Codan – Hema Maps
4×4 Camping Action – Online 4×4 Camping Gear Store
Blue Mountains – Sydney – Melbourne – Brisbane – Darwin – Alice Springs – Adelaide – Hobart – Perth – Australia